Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Flat Apple Pie

I had some apples I wanted to use up this week so I planned on making PW's Flat Apple Pie because I also had a batch of her Flaky Pastry in the freezer.


This was super quick and easy to make because the pastry was already done. I took it out of the freezer and while it was defrosting I peeled and sliced the apples. Then all you do is mix lemon juice, white sugar, brown sugar and a little flour to it. . .


spoon the mixture on to the pastry once you've rolled it out, and turn in the edges about 2 or 3 inches . . .

Dot it with butter and put it in the oven for about 30 to 40 minutes at 375. Mine actually took the whole 40 mintues, here it is fresh out of the oven . . . .

One thing PW doesn't mention doing (and same for her Chicken Pot Pie) but something my Mom always told me to do, is brush the pastry with milk or a little beaten egg. I didn't do it on this pie and I think it looks a bit 'pale' because of it!

PW does tell you to drizzle with caramel sauce if you want to, which I did . . .

Verdict: A nice simple way to prepare apple pie, it tasted delicious and was only missing vanilla icecream which I didn't have in at the time!

I'd definitely make it this way again but might try a batch of my own pastry next time and compare ;-)

I am linking this post to Grace's TMTT and Tasty Tuesday Hop on over to these great blogs to see some wonderful recipes.

Also submitting this to the Foodie Fans of the Pioneer Woman

17 comments:

Christina said...

This looks yummy!!
I'm printing this off and adding it to my meal plan for April, thanks for sharing!!!

Cindy said...

I think I might have to try this one. Looks yummy and I think it would be great with a nice cup of coffee at the end of the day!

Sarah said...

YUM! I love cooking with PW...this is one of hers that I have bookmarked :)

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Now that looks yummy! I'll have to check out her cookbook!...Debbie

Sarah @ Dream In Domestic said...

This looks so good!!! I was fine until you added the caramel - now I want to forget the whole point of working out and eating healthy and gulp down a whole apple pie....I would take that as a compliment, though! Thanks for sharing!

Charlene said...

Hi, I found you through the comment you left at Secrets of a Southern Kitchen.

I love this cookbook, I asked I got it for Christmas. So far the only thing I've made exactly like hers is the Aunt Edna's sour cream pancakes--they're wonderful! As a matter of fact, I may make them for supper again tonight.

Thanks for stopping by, I'll be checking in and watching your progress!

Elizabeth said...

Looks awesome & delicious. I have been doing this kind of fruit pie too. They're easy & delicious. Hugs

Judy said...

What a simple & delicious looking pie Denise! Love the pics! By the way, what kind of camera do you use? Your pictures always look so good. Well - sure wish I could have a slice of that pie, but since I can't, I'll just send big hugs your way! :-)

Melanie said...

Sounds good. Here apple dumpling is delish. We'll make that some day.

the country cook said...

You did a great job...looks so much like the one in her book!

Maya said...

Looks delicious. And true, brushing on egg makes the pie look "golden" (just remembered that when you mentioned it). It's been ages since I have baked a pie, due to not finding (or able to make) a "healthy" crust that taste good!!

Dennice {Fringe} said...

I love the rustic look of this version of apple pie. That delicious treat would disappear in no time with my husband around :)...

Thanks for sharing, I'm certain I'll give this one a try.

xo

Tiffanee said...

One word YUM!! My husband would LOVE this one. I am going to give it a try. I can't wait to see his face!!

Mary said...

That looks delish! I'll have to try, I think I'll cheat and use prepared pastry dough in my grocer's freezer :-)

Unknown said...

that looks really good! i have her book i'll have to look this one up! i didn't realize you had a cooking blog too! see you soon! susan

Kim said...

Looks amazing!! Love that it looks so rustic, just like a crostata.

Lara said...

Looks GREAT!! I love how it is so free formed. I cant wait to try this one.